Teen Gambler

Mental health.

A stigma overshadowed by social media.

Only important when someone passes away.

I am a profound believer that being open is the best policy.

Talking about your issues, relieving the inner stress which builds up exponentially.

The only issue is, I wasn't always like this.

Once upon a time, I had a gambling addiction. I was that man who bottled up everything, waiting for my house to be emptied so I could burst, and let all the tears out!

Media often compares gambling to crack cocaine. I don't believe that does it justice.

Of course, it has its comparisons.

We could even compare it to a caffeine addiction, increasing the dose time after time to get the same hit.

I said before, 'Only important when someone passes away.' This psychological barrier is the same barrier than forcibly makes us compare it to crack cocaine.

We only really care, when it's noticeable, and the crack cocaine addiction is the farthest our minds can go in terms of a strong addiction.

Because they can see a noticeable impact.

All factors taken into account, I was a gambler because I wanted to be!

I could make the excuse, that everything led me to it. But I loved it!

Obviously, my counsellor will bring up these factors such as; having a problem gambler father and having lack of money etc etc.

Inexcusably, I gambled because I enjoyed it. I loved everything about it. I loved the life that had been glorified by the winners but ultimately I knew I had to stop.

There are many people out there who have lost it all and got there lives back on track.

But you never see a teenager do it.

Why aren't teenage gamblers a problem to society, why do we never hear about the growing pandemic, which is a teen gambling addiction?

I got laughed at by my father when I said I was writing a book about it.

Shyed away promptly by the total embarrassment that hit me.

That was just it.

The fact I was made to feel that way by a man who had a bigger issue than me.

Made me realise that I had to change.

What I did was, I banned myself from everything, all online and offline bookmakers.

Was my problem solved?

Absolutely not!

Did everyone think my problem was solved?

Well, they wouldn't tell me what they were really thinking, would they?

One thing that actually changed.

Was my ability to open up, and for that, I am very grateful for this experience.

I never allowed myself to get into that hole again because I was constantly speaking about my issue.

Almost every day!

I urge people to speak up.

I want media to constantly portray success stories.

I want everyone to be the best person they can be!

If you ever go through anything related to mental health, please speak to your nearest and dearest.

Or even me!

I am most probably still am a Teen Gambler.

But I am alive...











Comments